Saturday, January 28, 2012

Free thoughts for Denocracy

“I do not wish to get into the controversy whether banning him was correct or not.” These are the words of His Lordship Justice Katju,who is also the Chairman of Press Council Of India,when His Lordship was asked to give opinion on whether Salman Rushdie be banned or not.I was stunned by these words.I was stunned because these words come from the mouth of His Lordship who is supposed as well as expected to throw his weight behind "The Right to Express one's thoughts".The most important thing,if the Democracy is to stay and flourish,is that even if we dont agree with someone's views we must not gag him,rather it is our duty to protect him from any probable attack.His Lordship must be aware of what one great political thinker once said that “I do not agree with what you have to say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it." This is the soul of Democracy. I take this opportunity to cite the quotes of His Lordship J.Katju. His Lordship while noting that democracy and science should go hand in hand, he said "scientific growth requires certain supportive values like freedom to think, to criticise and to dissent, tolerance, plurality, and free flow of information.These precisely are the values of a democratic society." Are You listening My Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment